LG assured ‘impartial enquiry’ into Hokersar encounter after NC MP spoke to him: Omar

SNS KASHMIR

SRINAGAR, JANUARY 1 :

Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha has assured an “impartial enquiry” into the “encounter” at Hokersar in outskirts of Srinagar earlier this week.While police and army claim that three youth killed were militants, their families have contested it, saying that the trio was innocent.

The assurance of holding impartial enquiry was made by the Lieutenant Governor to National Conference Member Parliament and former judge of the J&K High Court Hasnain Massodi who spoke to him last night, according to former chief minister Omar Abdullah.

“MP Anantnag @masoodi_hasnain spoke to J&K LG @manojsinha_ yesterday evening and expressed his anguish over the reports surrounding Wednesday’s encounter around HMT area in Srinagar. Mr. Manoj Sinha assured an impartial enquiry into the matter,” Omar tweeted.

In a statement on Thursday last to GNS, Masoodi sought an impartial investigation into the Hokarsar killings and had impressed on the government to clear the ambiguities leading to the killing of three youth.

“The police version is not convincing and clear-cut; it is an admitted case of police that none of the three youth in their early twenties were in the militant list; two of the youth are admitted not to have been involved in militant activities and said to be OGWs. In the case of a third boy who is twenty years old, it is said that he ‘might have joined militant ranks”, he said, adding, “The statement joined together is far from convincing and lends support to the version of families of the slain trio that they were innocent and not involved in any militant activity.” .

He asked the government to recall the Shopian killing and subsequent findings that those killed were innocent and had come all the way from Rajouri to earn livelihoods and continue their studies.

He demanded a thorough investigation into the issue and return of bodies of slain youth to their families so that their last rites are observed by their families at their respective places.

Masoodi said the matter warrants time bound inquiry as the versions of the family and the police are contradictory. “The version of the family in wake of the ambiguous version of police seems to be nearer to truth. Therefore it becomes imperative upon the government to come clean on the matter. In previous Shopian killings, the boys were found innocent,” he said.

Masoodi also spoke to Principal Secretary Home Shaleen Kabra Home and demanded a probe into the matter. (GNS)

Srinagar Encounter:Mehbooba Mufti writes to LG Urges to handover bodies to families and order impartial probe

SNS KASHMIR

SRINAGAR, JANUARY 01 :

Former Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister and President Peoples Democratic Party Mehbooba Mufti while raising questions over recent Srinagar encounter has urged Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha to handover the bodies of 3 slain young men to their respective families and order an impartial probe into the encounter.

In a communiqué to LG, Mehbooba Mufti has written that: “I am sure you are aware of the unfortunate incident at Parimpora on 30th December. Three boys, the youngest being all of 17 years old were killed in what the family has alleged to be a staged gunfight. This incident has come close on the heels of an inquiry report that held an Army captain guilty & responsible for a fake encounter at Amshipora in Shopian. Again the three victims now established as innocent through an investigation were killed & later dubbed as militants.”

“You and I may not agree on most political matters that concern J & K but I am certain we agree that such incidents bring disrepute to the armed forces & are a grave violation of human rights. I am aware that the administration is apprehensive about returning their dead bodies to the families but this callous decision will only exacerbate their sense of loss & pain. One hopes that you will rethink this decision & allow them to get closure. A mother who grieves the sudden & tragic death of her beloved son shouldn’t be deprived of the last chance to see his face. Nor does she deserve to have to beg for his dead body. This is simply inhuman & unacceptable.”

“I urge you to intervene & ensure that these families get a chance to perform the last rites as per their wishes. Questions are also looming over this encounter & there are conflicting versions & reports from police & the army. Justice can be served only if its swift & therefore I request you to initiate an impartial investigation into the matter immediately,” the communiqué reads. (KNT)

Militant associate held in Baramulla: Police

SNS KASHMIR

BARAMULLA, JANUARY 01 :

Baramulla police on Friday claimed to have arrested an over ground worker during a Naka checking near Jehlum stadium in north Kashmir’s Baramulla.

In a statement issued here official spokesperson said that on December 29 an information was received that some militants/OGWs will be moving from Baramulla towards Handwara alongwith illegal weapons.

“On this information joint Nakas were established at all the entry/exit points of Baramulla town by SOG Baramulla, 46 RR and 53 CRPF.”

He said that around 6 pm one Maruiti Alto Car bearing No. JK05G-1675 speedily went past the Naka established on Baramulla-Handwara highway near Jehlum Stadium to avoid checking.

“But the Naka personnel acted boldly and stopped the car and detained the driver. On questioning he revealed that his name was Aabid which was not his actual name. He was trying to conceal his identity but the Naka personnel recognized him to be Asif Gull son of Ghulam Mohammad Alwaie, a resident of Kanispora Baramulla who is a known OGW of TRF which is an offshoot of L-e-T.”

The spokesperson further said that the Naka party conducted the personal search as well as the search of the car. “On searching the car 03 Chinese grenades were recovered which were concealed in a bag full of charcoal.”

He said that Asif Gull is a known OGW of TRF and he has 29 FIRs registered against him in Police Station Baramulla and one FIR in Police Station Sopore, most of which have been registered under Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

He further said that Asif has been detained 04 times under PSA between year 2015 and 2018. “He is a history sheeter of P/S Baramulla and has been booked for stone pelting on numerous occasions. His arrest was pending in some recent cases registered against him under Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act. He has been absconding for last 06 months..”

He said that Asif is in contact with Aabid Qayoom Lone son of Abdul Qayoom Lone , a resident of Wussan Khoi Pattan presently in POK who is a top commander of TRF and instrumental in running terror modules of TRF in the valley from across the border.

“His activities involve radicalizing young boys, recruiting them for terrorist activities, harboring militants managing finances and arranging logistics for them. He was also in contact with Hyder @ Jajja, Usman (FT) and Inayatullah (all killed) and arranged logistics for them.”

The spokesperson further said that he was the man who brought Inayatullah Mir son of Mushtaq Ahmed Mir, a resident of Andergam Pattan to Baramulla from South Kashmir and handed him over to Usman for terror activities. “He is actively involved in finding new recruits for TRF/LeT.”

He said that a case FIR No. 218/2020 under relevant sections of law has been registered in Police Station Baramulla and further investigation has been taken up in this regard.

At -6.4°C, Srinagar Records 3rd Lowest Temp This Season

Gulmarg Remains Coldest Place In Kashmir, Kargil Freezes at Minus 17.4°C

Repsentainal Image

SNS KASHMIR

SRINAGAR, JANUARY 01 :

Mercury dropped to minus 6.4°C in Srinagar, the third lowest temperature this season in the Jammu and Kashmir’s summer capital, the weatherman said on Friday.

Earlier the mercury had dipped to minus 6.4 degrees Celsius in Srinagar on the intervening night of 16 and 17 December. While Srinagar recorded a low of minus 5.9°C on the earlier night, the season’s coldest night was recorded on December 19 when the mercury plunged to minus 6.6°C and was the second time in a decade that temperature dropped to such an extent during the month of December.

Regarding the month of January, a MeT official said minus 6.8°C was recorded on 14 January 2017, minus 7.8°C on 14 January 2012 while all-time record temperature was reached on 31 January 1893 when mercury plummeted to minus 14.4°C.

Gulmarg recorded a low of minus 9.0°C against minus 10.4°C on the previous night, the official told GNS. Pahalgam, the famous tourist destination in south Kashmir, recorded a minimum of minus 7.8C against minus 9.6°on the previous night. Qazigund recorded minus 5.7°C against minus 6.2°C on the earlier night, Kupwara recorded minus 5.6°C while Kokernag recorded a low of minus 7.8°C, the official said. Leh recorded a low of minus 17°C while Kargil recorded a minimum of minus 17.4°C, the official added.

Kashmir is in the middle Chillai-Kalan, the 40-day winter period which commenced on December 21 and ends on January 31. The period is considered the harshest of the winter when the chances of snowfall are most frequent and maximum.

The cold wave, however, continues even after that in Kashmir with a 20-day-long ‘Chillai-Khurd’ (small cold) and a 10-day-long ‘Chillai-Bachha’ (baby cold).
The weatherman has forecast mainly dry weather over Jammu and Kashmir for the next week or so, saying there would be no significant change before January 5 when there is a possibility of wide spread snow and rain across the Valley. Due to harsh weather conditions, people are facing a lot of problems.

The water supply has been disrupted with frozen taps becoming a common sight now. The frequent power cuts, scheduled or unscheduled, only amplify the cold and add to the discomfort of the people. Some portions of the Dal Lake were also frozen due to the plunge in mercury overnight. (GNS)

Lawaypora encounter: Spontaneous shutdown in Srinagar markets

‘Shops in city centre shut, vehicular movement on’

SNS KASHMIR

SRINAGAR, JANUARY 01 :

Srinagar markets observed a spontaneous shutdown on Friday against the Lawaypora, encounter where three militants were killed.

The families of slain trio however, had alleged that their children were students and not militants. Eye-witnesses told news agency—Kashmir News Observer (KNO), parts of Lal Chowk markets that include Residency Road, clock tower (Ghanta Ghar), Maisuma are observing a shutdown while as parts of downtown are also observing shut down.

There was no call for shut down by any group or traders. Eye—witnesses told KNO, that the public traffic was however, plying normally on roads across Srinagar.

Meanwhile, shutdown is being also observed in Pulwama and Shopian, the native districts of three slain youth—(KNO)

Jammu’s night temp breaks all previous records, reaches closer to zero

SNS KASHMIR

JAMMU, JANUARY 01, 2021:
Breaking all previous records, winter capital Jammu on Thursday recorded just nearly freezing temperature of 0.2 degree Celsius during night at Chatha observatory near Jammu Airport, while dense fog, frost and bone-chilling cold weather continued to grip entire Jammu region for the last couple of days.

26 X-Ens promoted as SEs

SNS KASHMIR

JAMMU, JANUARY 01, 2021:
The Government on Thursday accorded sanction to the regularization/promotion of 26 Executive Engineers (X-Ens) as Superintending Engineers (SEs) of Jal Shakti Department in the Pay Band-3 of Rs 15,600-39100 with Grade Pay of Rs 7600 (PR), on the recommendation of J&K Public Service Commission/Departmental Promotion Committee.
The promotees are Joginder Ram Dogra (with effect from 15-05-2008), Mohinder Paul and Natha Ram (from 30-09-2008), Phunsok Angchuk (from 30-09-2008 to 27-12-2016), Avtar Krishan Koul, Lalita Dhar and Shiv Chander Nanda (from 15-07-2011), Sham Sunder Khurana (from 17-02-2012), Pawan Kumar Sharma (from 20-03-2012), Fida Mohammad Farooqi and Zahoor Ahmad (from 27-07-2012), Sachida Nand Sethi (notionally from 27-07-2012 to 31-08-2012) and Jai Gopal Mengi (from 01-09-2012).
Besides, promotion of Mukesh Anand, Ashok Kumar Pardhan, Shesh Kumar Sharma and Rajeev Kumar Gandotra have been accorded sanction from 31-01-2013, Sharat Chander from 01-02-2013, Ashok Kumar Gupta from 21-05-2013 (notionally) and on regular basis from 03-03-2014, Krishan Chander Gupta from 21-05-2013 (notionally) and on regular basis from 03-03-2014, Padam Nath Bali, Ali Mohd Mir, Rajeev Malhotra and Imtiyaz Ahmad Dhar from 21-05-2013, Mukhtyar Ahmad Mir from 01-07-2013 and Arun Kumar Vaid from 01-10-2013. (DE)

Maj Gen Gautam Chauhan becomes first to head Army’s human rights cell

Post of Additional Directorate General Human rights was created under reforms approved by Defence Minister last year

Maj Gen Gautam Chauhan (File photo )

SNS KASHMIR

NEW DELHI, DECEMBER 31:

For the first time, the Indian Army has appointed a major general rank officer to look into the human rights issue and suggest means to better the track record of the force.

Major General Gautam Chauhan took charge as Additional Director General Human Rights on Thursday and will function under the Indian Army Vice Chief Lieutenant General SK Saini.

Before taking charge of the force’s first special human rights cell at the Army Headquarters, which will be the nodal body to look into any rights violations, Major General Chauhan was serving as Brigadier Operations Logistics at Headquarters of the Integrated Defence Staff (HQ IDS).  He was the nodal man for Covid 19 related issues for tri-services.

The infantry officer from Gorkha Rifles, Major General Chauhan has also headed brigades in the North East region. He has also served in Directorate of the Military Operations (MO).

The appointment is seen as Indian Army’s commitment toward human rights. The post of Additional Directorate General Human rights was created under reforms approved by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh as part of the re-organisation of Army Headquarters last year.

The human rights unit was created with a motive to ensure the Army’s compliance with human rights conventions and values. It will be the nodal point to examine any human rights violation reports.

“To enhance transparency and ensure the best of investigative expertise is available to the section, a police officer of SSP/SP rank will be taken on deputation,” the defence ministry had stated.

The human right cell will also have an Indian Police Service officer who will facilitate necessary coordination with other organisations and the home ministry on the human rights issues at hand.

The decision to have an Indian Police Service officer on board caused heartburn in a few sections of the Army and is being seen as inviting unnecessary interference by an outsider. Army headquarters stated that had having a police officer on board is critical when it comes to coordinating with different ministries and civil agencies, especially the police.

For last several years, the force has often been charged with human right violations in Jammu and Kashmir and in the North East. But the Indian army has maintained that its human rights record is above board.  — IANS

Sub-Judge uri suspended

SNS KASHMIR

JAMMU DECEMBER 31:

The Jammu and Kashmir High Court on Thursday has ordered the suspension of sub-judge Uri with immediate effect pending inquiry initiated against him.

According to order number 756/GS, “Consequent, upon the Full Court resolution dated 31.12.2020, a regular enquiry is initiated against. Imtiyaz Ahmed Lone, Sub-Judge Uri and pending such enquiry he is placed under suspension with immediate effect.”

“The sub-judge has been attached with the office of the Registrar Judicial Srinagar wing of the High Court. The officer shall be paid subsistence allowance as admissible under rules,” reads the order issued by Registrar General.

Despite reporting some COVID-19 cases in Coaching Centers, management continue their class work: DDMA Srinagar

Orders closure of class work in particular coaching institutes

Repsentainal Image

SNS KASHMIR

SRINAGAR, DECEMBER 31 :

The District Disaster Management Authority (DDMA) Srinagar on Thursday said that several Coaching Centers in the district were continuing their class work despite reporting some COVID-19 positive cases in the respective institutes.

The DDMA magistrate of Srinagar in an order, a copy of which lies with the news agency—Kashmir News Observer (KNO) said, “Some COVID-19 cases have been reported from several coaching institutes of the Srinagar, particularly those operational in Parraypora and Rajbagh areas of the Srinagar city, during the sampling drive carried out by district Administration.”

The DDMA Srinagar Magistrate Shahid Iqbal Choudhary in an order said, “The management of these coaching institutes continued their classes even after reporting of positive cases, in brazen violation of COVID-19 SOP’s that too without even bothering to inform district Administration.”

Choudhary ordered closure of class work in such coaching institutes wherein COVID-19 positive cases have been reported.

“In view of the situation and in line with COVID-19 guidelines, it is hereby ordered that coaching institutions where positive cases have been reported shall immediately close their classes till complete sampling is carried out and results are received, besides sanitization of facility,” he said—(KNO)